The annual Pioneer Days Rodeo concluded last night. It was standing room only with more than 13,000 people attending and setting a new attendance record. It was 100 degrees....so hot my makeup was melting and dripping down my forehead and face. But by 7:45 the stands shadowed us from the sun and it was almost perfect---we just needed Garth Brooks singing "Rodeo." The crowd was good natured even in the heat. It seemed like the old Ogden with everyone wanting to be at the good ole rodeo!
The rodeo always begins with 6 skydivers landing in the middle of the arena. The last skydiver carried a beautiful American flag with him.
A US Air Force Captian was honored with a standing ovation during a very patriotic program and presentation.....touching and tearful.

The bare back riders were even better than the bull riders this year. The winner had a score of 95 with the other riders placing with a 93, 92, 92, and 90....WOW! The horses were bucking sky high and the riders were able to stay the course.....those long 8 seconds! AWESOME!

Rod refused to pose for a picture...so I caught him when he wasn't looking. Of course the beautiful Mignon is sitting next to him.

I don't know who screamed the loudest---mom or me????

Lorin, Eleanore and Emily smiled through the heat.

Braxton, Lorin and Devin kept us entertained!

We had a fantastic clown from Georgia-----so funny and interacted with the crowd all night. He had a well trained horse that he did a great act with---even being able to lie on top of the horse and that horse didn't move an inch. He talked big about distracting the bulls during bull riding but felt most comfortable on top or IN the barrel.

Governor Jon Huntsman was on hand to crown the new Miss Rodeo Utah. (he is standing in the carriage)


The new Miss Rodeo Utah, Renae Cowley is in the gold waving to the crowd.
I can't help but scream bloody murder when I watch the bull riders. I am always terrified that they are going to be gored by the bull, stomped on, or killed. No one really likes to sit by me during the bull riding.
At the end of the rodeo they had these amazing motorcycle riders that drove up a ramp and then absolutely flew over a truck and lots of space to land on a ramp. They were amazing. I had to laugh because mom was sitting next to me screaming like a two year old with fear during the exhibition. She yelled worse than I did during the bulls.
They ended the night with fireworks up on the hill. The fire department spent the entire rodeo time spraying huge water jets on the trees and brush where the fireworks would be shot off so there wouldn't be a fire. Great job to the firemen/women! It worked...no fire....just great fireworks.





4 comments:
You got some really awesome pictures that night. I'm suprised you got to see any rodeo after seeing all the wonderful pictures you took. It was a fun night, hot, but worth it. Thanks for going early and getting seats, they were the best. I love the rodeo, especially with family. Thanks ~ Love ya!!
Looks like a fun night. Wish we could have been there.
So much fun...I love my memories of going to the rodeo. Can't wait to join you in just a few short years...
sounds like fun, my kids were there with my parents as I was on the pioneer trek with our stake
Post a Comment