Reenactment of the family entering Union Station....they stood as they were posed in the picture from 1928 leaving Holland. Colton, is the second from the right. He is representing his great grandfather, Bart. A cousin, Henry Post, (the man with the black hat representing Hindrik) shaved off his beard of 25 years to be in the reenactment.
Last night we celebrated with 360 ancestors, the 80th anniversary of the Wolthuis family walking into Union Station and beginning their new lives in the United States. We had an amazing evening remembering the legacy of Hindrik and Hillechiena. They arrived from Holland with their 9 children (only the two youngest daughters are still living) in 1928. I was overwhelmed with the organization and hard work Robert (the oldest of 43 cousins) and Carolyn, his wife, put into this special event. Each family set up a display table (thank you dear Judy for your hours of work to put the table together) with memorabilia from their parent's life. The displays were beautiful and unique to each child's life and family. One of the highlights of the evening was a reenactment of the family walking into Union Station. A photo had been taken 80 years ago as the family left Holland and different family members dressed like the person in the photo they represented. They posed exactly like the photo and many, many pictures were taken. Our grandson, Colton, represented his great-grandpa, Bart. Colton was so good and did a great job. Bob and Carolyn also put together a DVD with a history of Hindrik and Hillechiena from their early lives in Holland to their deaths in the 1960's. I felt very humble as I remembered that John's grandfather, Hindrik, sacrificed everything, his family in Holland, his sailing ship, and his country to bring his family to America.
Bart and Judy
Just a small slice of the people in the Union Station...I couldn't get the entire crowd in the picture
Whitney, Emily and Laurel
As people came into the station, they could eat Oliebollen, a Dutch treat similar to a donut dipped in powdered sugar....my mother-in-law, Ellen, made these every New Year's Day for the family. We all love Oliebollen.....
As I grow older, I certainly recognize the most valuable parts of my life are the gospel and family relationships I treasure. As it states in Matthew 6:20,
"But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt......"
This scripture is so very true, as we all had moments of great sadness without Susan celebrating with us last evening. She and I had spoken of the evening and how she was looking forward to the reunion. Susan would have loved the evening. I was grateful that Richard, Whitney, Micah, and Chelsea could come.
Whitney and Richard
Micah and Chelsea (soon to be married on Dec. 13th)
What a wonderful memory we all shared honoring a valiant family name and legacy.
PS I don't know why I didn't get pictures of Greg, Cannon, Brady, Jocelyn, John and me....but we all had a great time....we missed Todd and Megan and Johnny and Brittney and Crew. (he stayed with his DeVries grandparents)





9 comments:
Wow! That was a huge event! What a neat thing...I love that they reenacted the walk into Union Station.
Wow! That is incredible that so many people came! I bet that is so neat to see so many family members! Bart was such a great guy! I love all of the pictures and things on his table. You are all such a great family!
It really was such a neat evening. Thanks for talking me into coming for it!
What a wonderful event!!! I'm glad so many family members could be there. What a wonderful memory for all of you!
That is so awesome! As a child, I loved having Bart as our home teacher. I loved hearing his stories of his youth in Holland and coming to America. He was like another Grandpa to my siblings and me. What an awesome tribute.
What an incredible evening... I would have loved to have been there to share in the memories of our dear granddad and great-grandparents and their sacrifice for the gospel! Thanks for sharing the pictures...Colton could not be any cuter!
what a neat event. i know our family is very greatful for the wolthuis family. thanks for sharing this with us
After you talking about the night, it sounds amazing!! They went to soooo much work and look at all the people!! What a memory and tribute to the Wolthuis family!! Hope you got it on video, too!! Love ya!!
Veronica, Thank you so much for the post about the reunion. We wee so sad we couldn't make it. It appears that the event was a huge success. We have a wonderful legacy to support us and to carry on. Richie
Post a Comment